So here's the big news, the elephant in the room, the announcement I've been skirting around for the last few months because I was hoping to write the story of How We Got Here.
But it's become apparent, even to an optimist like me, that I won't have time to pen the saga before the event happens. So I need to stuff the part of myself that likes to do things in order and just tell you:
WE ARE MOVING NEXT WEEK!
A few disclaimers:
1. If there was ever a sentence worthy of all caps, it is that one. Because this time, we aren't moving with the asterisk of "this is where we'll live for now." We are moving, Lord-willing, into the home where we will stay and plant our roots and watch our children grow and soak in this glorious life God has given us. (I'm reading "One Thousand Gifts" right now, and this? Is pure eucharisteo.) I have taken to calling this our Forever Home. God only knows the future, but our intention is to stay in our new home as long as He lets us. We have moved 10 times in our 17 years of marriage. We have bought 6 homes and sold 5. (We are planning to rent the townhouse. If you live in the Cities and might be interested, let me know.) We are READY to settle down.
2. The past 12 months, we have seriously considered moving to and settling down in the following locations: Seattle, Colorado Springs, Denver and San Diego. We are not moving to any of those cities.
3. Instead, we are doing something so crazy, we would have slapped you upside the head if you had suggested it to us last year: We are staying in the Twin Cities! Our Forever Home is only 10 minutes north of where we are now, and it is perfect for us. (Or it is now. The former owner is also a builder, and he's been remodeling the house the last few weeks to fix all those little things that you always say, "We'll get to that someday" but you never do.) (Or maybe that's just us.) The funny thing is, we weren't even looking for a house when we stumbled across this home. It is sheer gift.
4. Because I wanted to tell you the grand story of the journey before I announced our destination, I missed countless blogging opportunities. You must be so disappointed not to be able to weigh in on the exact shade of green that would be perfect for Kieran's room, what kind of glass tiles could work for a backsplash behind the cooktop, whether or not a top load high efficiency washing machine is worth the money. (Or maybe not.) Remodeling a house has been nirvana for an HGTV addict like me.
5. My Forever Home? It. Has. A. Pool. I am so excited for summer, I am quivering. (Or maybe it's just shivering. Whatever. Winter isn't bothering me at all this year.)
I will post pictures next week, and at some point, I will (I will, I will, I know I will) write the Final Move saga.
But right now? I need to start packing.
(Optimists never pack until 24 hours before the move. The walls look so sad once you take the pictures down, you know?)